The Five Elements Boutique Hostel was started in 2011 by a Chinese backpacker with a dream to create a stylish hostel for backpackers that will connect them with traditional Chinese culture. Our goal is to create a lively, comfortable environment that brings backpackers together with each other and the local community. The Five Elements is a traditional Chinese Philosophy and so each room is decorated in a traditional Chinese theme.
Five Elements describes who we are:
- EARTH: We hope you will accept our invitation to connect with the locals. We provide many opportunities to get involved with Dali residents from bike tours, lake tours and the opportunity to dine in the home of a local family and taste authentic cuisine. Our coffee is freshly ground and all our food is locally grown, served fresh just for you.
- FIRE: We are a young, energetic staff and we are on FIRE to ensure you have a great time in Dali! We offer hot events like our weekly BBQ and X-box Kinect competition that will have you sweating with a good time. If you like to drink, we have a bar with all kinds of great drinks to party with – but we never feel like a drunk, spring break destination! Plus, if you like HOT food just try one of our dishes with extra chili to set your mouth on FIRE!
- WOOD: All the wooden beds in our dorms were custom designed for backpackers and for the warm style it brings to the rooms. We want your stay at Five Elements to be as comfortable as possible. We are at the foot of Cang Shan mountain where you can go hiking and explore the forests of the mountain.
- WATER: Our garden is surrounded with water fountains and is a beautiful, relaxing spot to read a book or chill out with friends. Er Hai Lake is a short bike ride away and since we are located at the bottom of Cang Shan Mountain, all our water is crystal clear spring water. We have hot water showers 24 hours a day but our motto is “Save Water, Drink Beer!”
- METAL: The metal in the Five Elements is defined as what you gain from the other elements. We see this as a memory or a souvenir to take with you. That is what we hope you will find when you stay with us – we want you to create a strong connection with other travelers and build lasting memories of your time in Dali. We believe you will help our hostel get stronger and better – so we can’t wait to meet you!